Employer: Church of the Cross Austin (Austin, TX)
Closes: When position is filled
The person fulfilling this role is responsible for planning, coordinating, and leading musical worship at Sunday Eucharistic services and other worship gatherings. This person is responsible for recruiting, training, and leading the musicians of the church as they play and sing as part of the music ministry team. As this role would be fulfilled in the life of a young and growing church this person would have an important part in contributing to the development of the church’s ethos and culture of worship, should work well and closely with the rector and musicians already in place, and be able to commit to the life of the church wholeheartedly for the next few years.
- Select worship songs for Sunday services & other worship gatherings in coordination with the Rector
- Prepare sheet music, lead sheets, and other supporting materials for each week’s worship, and maintain a current database of songs for use within the worship ministry.
- Organize, schedule, communicate with, and provide music for musicians in the congregation
- Rehearse with the music team weekly
- Help to lead in the set up of corporate worship, with oversight over audio-visual elements of the service
- Lead musical worship on Sundays with strong vocals and a musical instrument
- Cultivate and shepherd the musicians who serve to lead COTC in worship through training, feedback, and support
- Perform other responsibilities as developed in conversation with the Rector
- A vibrant and growing faith in Jesus Christ evidenced by a life of worship and obedience
- A sense of calling to lead others in the musical worship of God
- An appreciation for the church’s liturgical tradition and the historic music of the church
- A strong ability to sing while playing an instrument, and the confidence to do so while connecting to and reading the church body, and being sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s leading
- A sense of organization, process, and the ability to follow through with projects and goals
- Agreement and commitment to the Baptismal Covenant in the Book of Common Prayer, the Theological Statement of the Anglican Church of North America (ACNA), and the Jerusalem Declaration.
- Maintain a personal and professional lifestyle of high Christian character
- The ability to listen to feedback and ideas of others and contribute well to a team
- Effective at building, leading, training, and serving the music ministry team
- Able to participate in the overall life of the church
Musical Worship at Church of the Cross:
Our desire is that the songs we sing would honor God and accurately reflect His character, would draw our affections toward Christ, and shape us by the power of the Holy Spirit to follow Him in all things. We love beauty and music and value wide participation from the musicians in our church family. We seek to play and lead music that engenders community-wide engagement in song. We appreciate songs that invite us into the themes of the church calendar. We are committed to musical excellence, to the involvement of skilled musicians from within our community, and sensitivity to the presence of the Holy Spirit among us as we gather as God’s people. In our corporate worship we seek to use our whole selves (body, mind, heart) in the praise of God that He might be lifted high, and that our affections might be ordered toward Him and His purposes.
Church of the Cross (COTC) is a new, growing, gospel-centered, Anglican church plant with a specific focus on the communities of Northeast Austin, to see more about our vision and values please check out our website.
Terms of Employment
This could be a part-time or full-time salaried position, depending on the candidate and what additional gifts, skills, and callings they might have that match with the life of Church of the Cross, and the candidates ability and willingness to develop their own support.
To apply please complete the application at the link below, and include an electronic copy of your resume, along with references. Application Link - Director of Music